WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Verjus?

I have just discovered verjus and was wondering if anyone had any great recipes where verjus is the star ingredient? Or maybe any tips on cooking with it? I have been told that it can be frozen in ice cube trays if you need to prolong it's "shelf-life". But, I have not tried that, nor am I sure how much it might affect the taste.

P.S. For any MS staffers who might be reading...any chance of having verjus mentioned/explained on an upcoming blog, tv, radio or magazine spot?

Comments

• Hi Kenneth - thanks for the suggestion! I will pass it along to our editorial team. In the meantime, I can give you some info here. Verjus, a tart grape juice, has been used by European and Middle Eastern cooks for hundreds of years. Neither vinegar nor wine, it is the pressed juice of unripe grapes, and has a taste in between those two. It can be white or red and can be used much like you would use white or red wine, vinegar or even lemon juice. Since it's not fermented, it's nonalcoholic. Great in vinaigrettes, sauces like beurre blanc, deglazing pans, etc. A splash of verjus can really lighten up a meaty stew or braised meat. The subtle tang really complements the richness. Verjus is also great in cocktails or even as a nonalcoholic cocktail itself (alone or mixed with sparkling water). Once opened, it keeps in the fridge for a few weeks; in the freezer, a few months. If you freeze it in ice cube trays, once frozen, transfer to an airtight container to keep it as fresh as possible. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.