WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

GERMAN APPLE CAKE (APFELKUCHEN) - Question on Cook Time

The recipe says to cook this cake 50-60 minutes. After just 40 minutes my cake was burnt on the bottom and sides. The flavor was great so I would like to try again. I used my glass bottom springform pan. (The recipe just called for a springform pan.) I don't have cooking spray so I used a bit of olive oil to coat the bottom and then dusted with flour. Any ideas what went wrong?

Comments

• Hi Kristine - I apologize for the delay in responding. We have been doing some follow-up testing to see what may have gone wrong. Does your springform pan have a dark, nonstick coating? If so, I believe that may be the cause of the issue. We generally use and prefer lighter aluminum pans in the Milk Street kitchen, which yield a more slowly-developed crust. A darker coating (especially when combined with glass) will brown faster, which is likely why your cake was too dark after just 40 minutes. If you would like to make it again using your darker springform pan, lowering the temperature to 350 degrees should solve the problem. I’m so sorry this didn’t work out the first time for you. We will be making a note of this difference in pan color going forward. Thanks! Best, Lynn C.

• The same thing happened to me, I used a glass bottom springform pan and at 50 minutes, it was nearly burnt. I made it again and started checking it at about 35 minutes and took it out soon after that first check.

Now I'm going to have to make it again at a lower temperature.

this all being said, the cake is delicious!

• I made the cake in a lighter aluminum springform pan, but I, too, had the same issue as the two insiders above. The bottom and the sides were burnt. Then I tried again by lowering the temperature to 325F and baked for 55 minutes. The cake didn't burn on the sides and the bottom, but my cake was underdone in the middle. It also didn't puff up as much and lacked in color (pale brown at best).

The flavor of this cake is truly out of this world, so I really want to try again and make it work.

• Hi Ji Young - I am so sorry that the cake did not work for you. Since the cake was not too brown, you probably could have let it go a little longer until a toothpick inserted into the center came out clean. I always advise going by the visual clue in the recipe rather than the timing. That being said, I would recommend trying it next time at 350 degrees. I think the timing will line up more closely with the original recipe at that temperature. I hope that helps and, again, I am so sorry that it didn't work the first time! Best, Lynn C.

• It's no problem, Lynn--thank you for replying. I did try again at 350 degrees F, and it was a success! The almond+apple flavor is dynamite. This might be my new favorite dessert recipe from Milk Street. Thank you again!

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.