WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Make ahead (pot) Pie Question

If one were to make something like a chicken (or turkey!) pot pie ahead by a day, would it be best to keep the filling and the crust separate until ready to bake or would it be ok to chill the filling and form the pie and keep it in the fridge for a day until you are ready to bake it? If I was freezing the pie I wouldn't worry, but I wonder if the filling sitting on an uncooked crust for a day in the fridge would ruin the crust.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Jason - I would recommend holding them separately in the refrigerator and adding the filling to the pie plate right before baking. You can roll out the top crust ahead and store it flat in the fridge. Just let it soften a bit so that it's malleable before adding it to the top of the pie. Alternatively, you can fully assemble the pie, freeze it and then bake directly from frozen. It will take a little bit longer to bake, but the frozen crust will hold up well in the oven. I fear a pre-assembled pot pie would get soggy in the refrigerator. If you decide to assemble and freeze, just make sure to cool your filling to room temperature before adding it the pastry. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.