WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Question about polenta recipe

In the "creamy polenta with savory sauces" recipe, the texture described in the recipe is quite different than the texture in the accompanying images. Do you have any recommendations for achieving the firmer text so that it can be cut into squares? Thank you!

Comments

• Hi Emily - the recipe for Fried Polenta is linked are the bottom of the Creamy Polenta recipe. Here is the link - https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/fried-polenta. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

• Hi. I tried making the soft polenta today, and I’m pretty sure I followed the recipe accurately, but the end result was too watery, and I actually cooked it for an extra 10 minutes. I must admit, the flavor was great, but I need it to firm up more. Any thoughts as to what may have happened? Thx, John

• Hi. I tried making the soft polenta today, and I’m pretty sure I followed the recipe accurately, but the end result was too watery, and I actually cooked it for an extra 10 minutes. I must admit, the flavor was great, but I need it to firm up more. Any thoughts as to what may have happened? Thx, John

• Hi John -

There are a few potential things that may have caused this:

1. Did you put the pot in the oven *uncovered*? The polenta requires some water evaporation in order to thicken.
    2. What type of Dutch oven did you use? This recipe was tested in an enameled cast iron dutch oven. Cast iron will hold heat better than, say, a stainless steel dutch oven so it's possible that the polenta may not have been as hot. It will still work in a stainless steel dutch oven, but may take longer to thicken.
    3. Different brands of polenta will thicken differently and at different rates. Because of this, we recommended Bob's Red Mill coarse-grind cornmeal or its polenta corn grits for the best results in this recipe.

Hope that helps!

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.