Milk Street Insider Members and Digital Subscribers can post questions and answers. Insider Members will receive a response from a Milk Street expert within 2 business days. View all subscription options here. Try any plan for your first 12 weeks for just $1.

Chainmail Scrubber for Cast Iron

My son bought me a chainmail scrubber for cleaning my cast iron when it needs a heavy cleaning. Basically, you clean your cast iron with hot water and a "chainmail" pad. Afterwards I dry the skillet, oil it lightly then stick it in a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes. In the past I had been told that water should never be used on cast iron. However, this chainmail pad seems to work well. Any thoughts as to whether or not I am doing any harm?

Comments

• Hi - Thanks for your question! Our preferred method for seasoning and cleaning cast iron and carbon steel can be found here: https://www.177milkstreet.com/discussion/discussion/comment/88#Comment_88. Chris's preferred tool for cleaning cast iron is a grill brush with one or two, light mesh scrubber pads attached. He finds this gets the job done without being too harsh on the cast iron seasoning (like a chainmail scrubber might be). If you do get your cast iron skillet wet, the best method to dry it is to first dry it with a towel and then put it on a burner over medium-low heat to make sure it gets completely dry. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• Thanks Lynn.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion.