WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Matt's Slow-Cooked Pork Shoulder

I enjoyed his clip and intend to try the recipe but I was wondering what he considered the target temperature for the shoulder was. The clip indicates a cooking time of 6-9 hours but does not indicate what the desired temperature goal for the shoulder is. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Hi Hugh - Pork shoulder is at its best when it's cooked to a relatively high internal temperature, about 190-200 degrees. The connective tissue in the shoulder begins to dissolve as the pork is cooked. At the same time, the fat found in the shoulder melts, coating the meat, keeping it moist and adding rich flavor. Slow cooked pork shoulder is cooked well past the point of standard doneness so that the fibers in the meat separate easily and develop a lush, rich texture. This won't happen until around 190 degrees. That being said, I don't usually temp a pork shoulder. I insert a fork into the center and, if it meets no resistance and starts to "pull" easily, I know it's done. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

• would like a mild recipes for chicken wings do get you mag and enjoy it .thank you allt

• Hi Julie - Our Harissa Hot Wings can be made without the harissa butter at the end and is a terrific and easy method for making wings. You can use this base method and use whatever spice you'd like in the marinade if you don't have or like za'atar and then either omit or modify the butter sauce the wings are tossed in at the end. Some ideas - honey and soy; miso, lime, ginger, fish sauce; bbq sauce; bourbon and maple. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.