WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

No Instant Pot

How do I convert an Instant Pot recipe to a regular cooking method recipe as I don't have an Instant Pot? Below is an example of one I'm interested in:

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/spiced-sweet-potatoes-fast-slow

Comments

• Hi Leslie - There is no general conversion for Instant Pot recipes, but some of the recipes in our new Fast and Slow cookbook that are now on the website are based on recipes we've developed using more traditional cooking methods. Luckily, that Spiced Sweet Potatoes recipe is one! Here is a link to the traditional version, which is done in the oven. The only real difference between the two is how the potatoes are cooked and the time, obviously. The oven version does take a bit longer but by roasting the potatoes you are developing browning and flavor so I think, in the end, it's a win. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

• Greetings

You really should have non Instant Pot versions of your recipes. It’s very disappointing when you find one that looks good but then realize it’s only written for Instant Pot.

• I agree with Kathie R., my tiny kitchen can’t take another big appliance and honestly I don’t want to buy something that I could do with other tools that I already own. Please consider those of us who don’t (and have no desire to) own an Instant Pot. Thank you!!!

• Hi Kathie and Aimee - As I mentioned in my response to Leslie, many of the recipes from our recent Fast & Slow Instant Pot book were developed from existing Milk Street recipes. Sometimes those versions exist with a different name, however, so they may be hard to find. If there is one you are looking for specifically, please let me know and I can see if there is a non-Instant Pot version. Thanks, Lynn C.

• I'm looking for the South African beef stew w/olives recipe in a non-Instapot version. I did notice some recipes had other alternatives, but my search for "beef stew" didn't help; I didn't see a non-Instapot version under a different name although I might've missed it. How do I convert either the fast or the slow instapot recipe to a Dutch oven & conventional stove-top/oven?

• Actually I am super annoyed at all the Instapot recipes. I don't have one and don't want one. Fine to put them all in a section for those who do. I feel like I am on the Instapot website. I am fine with my cast iron pan and dutch oven. Don't need another appliance.

• Personally, I love the InstaPot recipes! Thank you!

• As a new subscriber, I also find it extremely disheartening to scroll through the main recipes and 95% of the ones that look good require an Instapot. Suggest adding a filter that makes it possible to search recipes that are not for an Instapot.

• I totally agree! I have a slow cooker and lots of appliances, but no room or money for yet another. There should be a separate section for Instant Pot recipes.

• Hi All - We’re so glad you're exploring our recipes. We recently released a new Instant Pot cookbook called Fast & Slow that features about 130 recipes to be made in an Instant Pot. We added those recipes to our website during these trying times to give our subscribers, who might have an Instant Pot at home, access to these new recipes.

There are still almost 1,000 recipes on our website that do not require an Instant Pot. Many of the Instant Pot recipes are actually versions of recipes we've previously published for stovetop or oven cooking so look for duplicates of the recipe titles when you do a search and check them all even if the title is slightly different.

Thanks for supporting Milk Street! Best, Lynn C.

• I, too, am a new subscriber, and I'm very disappointed that most of the recipes are for an instant pot. Actually I haven't found ANY which aren't. How can I access the few recipes which don't use one?

• Hi Diana - The recipes on the website that are for the Instant Pot will be noted with a parenthetical that says “Fast & Slow.” All other recipes will be traditional recipes done on the stovetop or in the oven. As I mentioned above, we have almost 1,000 recipes on the website that do not require an Instant Pot and only 130 that do. Just to make sure these were easy to find, I searched “chicken” under the Recipes tab on the website and of the 24 recipes that appeared on the first page of search results, I only found 2 that were for the Instant Pot. You can also go under the Magazine tab on the website and look through the various issues of the magazine for recipes featured there. With the exception of one or two recipes, none of these will require an Instant Pot. I hope this helps you find what you’re looking for. Happy cooking! Best, Lynn

• Agree with many! I don't want another appliance. It is so disappointing to find something you want to make and then have the enthusiasm rug pulled out when you realize it is *another* instapot thing. How about including links to the the original recipes they are based on in the same articles to avoid all of the questions about it? It is also frustrating to see people always linked to this forum rather than just including the answer/link to the standard recipe in the comment section of each recipe. Sorry to be crabby, it just ruins the user experience for those who don't want to join the instacult.

Is there a source recipe for the Cannellini Beans with tomatoes and parm?

• Hi Robin - I will pass along your frustrations to the digital content team. In the meantime, I would recommend this recipe as a substitute for the Instant Pot Cannellini Beans with Tomatoes and Parmesan. You can either soak and pre-cook dried Cannellini beans or use canned Cannellini beans. In Step 1, substitute fennel seeds for the fresh fennel and eliminate the sage. Then, if using, add the Parmesan rind when you add the tomatoes and cooked beans in Step 2. You can skip Step 3 (making the sage oil). Then stir in half of the basil and top with shaved Parmesan and the remaining basil. There is also a slow cooking version of the recipe (click the "slow" tab) that you can also use if you've got a slow cooker. If your slow cooker doesn't have a sauté feature, you can start the recipe on the stovetop and then transfer to the slow cooker once you've added the water and beans and brought them to a simmer. Hope this helps! Best, Lynn C.

• Thanks so much for the quick reply! I wasn't expecting such a fast response and didn't recheck before blazing out on my own (so so, but unremarkable results). Will retry. I used 5 cans of cooked beans and 3 cups of water called for in the recipe. I started on the stove top, slow cooked for a long time but it was bland, felt like it should be more concentrated.

Appreciate the reply.

Have really enjoyed some of the recipes since joining Milk Street.

• Any chance there is a non Instant pot Chicken Biryani recipe- or some modifications to do it on the stove instead of an Instant pot? I never replaced mine after it essentially blew all its seals and melted down.

• I appreciate that you want to include new cooking tools in the cookbook but I’m another user without any desire (Or space) to own an instant pot. Instead of telling us to search the recipes for similar non-instant pot versions, why not list the alternative on the instant pot recipe itself? The beauty of a website (as opposed to print) is that it can be changed without too much difficulty. Alternatively, you might have a separate index to link the recipes, saving your subscribers yet another step. Thanks.

• Hi Tiffany - This recipe for Curried Chicken and Rice with Cranberries is very similar to the Biryani in the Instant Pot. If you'd prefer to use the ingredients from the Instant Pot Biryani, you can just follow this recipe for the stovetop instructions and chicken and rice amounts. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• Hi Maureen - Thanks for the suggestion on cross-referencing the non-Instant Pot versions of recipes. Our digital content team is constantly making upgrades to the website to improve the customer experience so I will pass your suggestion along to them. Best, Lynn C.

• I have a Ninja Foodi and absolutely love that you have so many Fast/Slow Instant Pot recipes! I have made several of the recipes with great success. The recipes are easy and dinner is on the table quickly. I also like the diversity of cuisines. Keep up the good work!

• Could I use stove top pressure cooker instead of Instant pot?

Thank you!

• Hi Luba - Unfortunately, we did not test our Fast & Slow recipes using a stovetop pressure cooker. However, I did find this chart that shows the time differences between Instant Pot and stovetop pressure cookers for various foods. A stovetop pressure cooker usually cooks at a higher pressure than an Instant Pot, so cooking time may be a bit shorter. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

• Well, I bought a pressure cooker recently and I was a bit surprised to see that searches (using the search function) for 'pressure cooker' bring up Instant Pot recipes.

At the end of the day I can use those recipes (there's a nice one for pork, tofu and cabbage) as an inspiration.

Instead of 'filtering off' Instant Pot recipes, maybe a search function for "pressure cooking" could be added. I bet there are a few Fissler lovers here!

• I just simply am searching for a general theory of conversion of these wonderful instant pot recipes to my dutch oven. I too have a crock pot, but love to slow cook in a low oven in my dutch oven. I prefer an afternoon of slow cooking in dutch oven as opposed to set and forget in morning in crock pot. Golly, I hope that's clear.

• Hi George - Thanks for the suggestion! We are always modifying and upgrading our platform to make it user friendly, so I will pass that suggestion along to our digital team. Best, Lynn C.

• Hi Kathleen - Unfortunately, there isn't an "across the board" conversion since all ingredients can and will behave differently in the Instant Pot vs. on the stovetop. As I mentioned above, many of the recipes in our Fast & Slow cookbook are derived from some of our stovetop versions of the same. So, when you find a recipe you like, search for some of the key words in the title and see if there is a stovetop version as well. Happy Cooking! Best, Lynn C.

• How about the Mushroom and Toasted Sesame Noodles recipe - can you help translate that one to traditional cooking methods? I tried it on my own and it wasn't nearly as good as my friend had made in the instant pot.

Thank you!

• I have the same question as Ariane. How can I adapt the Mushroom and Toasted Sesame Noodles recipe to the old-fashioned stove and oven? I do not have an Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. Thank you for your help.

• Hi Kathleen -

This recipe is quite similar to the Mushroom and Toasted Sesame Noodles Instant Pot recipe. I would follow the attached recipe for Step 1 (you can choose to do the pickled jalapeño or not - it will work here) but toss the rinsed noodles with the sesame oil as in the mushroom and toasted sesame noodles. For Step 2 start by toasting the sesame seeds in a dry skillet and setting aside. Next, add the shallots and scallion whites and cook until shallots are browned, 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds. Then add the mushrooms and cook as indicated in the attached recipe. Skip adding the pork (again, you can add this if you'd like). In Step 3, add the oyster sauce, hoisin, all of the chili-garlic sauce, and the reserved noodle water. Reduce as written in the attached recipe. Stir in half the scallion greens and reserved toasted sesame seeds. Divide noodles among bowls and top with sauce and remaining scallion greens.

Hope this works for you!

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.