WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Flour

Can bread flour be used for most other baking needs like cookies and cakes?

Comments

• Hi Patrice - The quick answer is "no." The higher protein content in bread flour is responsible for that chew we all love in breads and pizza dough. That same higher protein content translates to crumbly cookies and dense cakes. For more information on our testing around this, check out our Off the Air column from Fall 2018. I understand that it's frustrating right now with the lack of all-purpose flour on the shelves. If you can find cake flour, I would recommend that as a better sub for all-purpose flour in cakes and cookies. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

• Flour: Can you substitute Almond flour in any baking recipe? If so what would be the conversion rate from all purpose flour?

• Hi Rich - Since almond flour has more fat than all-purpose and no gluten, I wouldn't substitute almond flour for all of the all-purpose flour in most recipes. Although some cakes are made with all almond flour - our Spanish Almond Cake is one - these cakes are purposely dense and very moist. They also have been developed using only almond flour so the other ingredients, like leavener and eggs, have accounted for this substitution. You can, however, substitute almond flour for a portion of the all-purpose flour. I'd start with 25% almond flour and go up to 50% to gauge the texture of the cake before adding more. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.