WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

SINGLE-CRUST PIE DOUGH

Can you freeze the dough for future use? Also can you use this dough for a double crust pie? I know it says prebaked crust, but it’s a dream to work with. Thank you for the recipe!

Comments

• Hi Mildred - You can definitely freeze this crust. I did so over the fall holidays and it worked great. Just move it to the fridge the day before to defrost. Chris Kimball is my go-to when it comes to pie dough and pie baking (among many other things!) and he recommends that when doubling the recipe for a double-crust pie to increase the flour to 2 1/2 cups (slightly more than doubled) and then double the remaining the ingredients. Good luck and let us know how it works out! Best, Lynn C.

• Hello, I don’t have a microwave or feel the need to take up the counter space. Can I boil the water and CS and get the same

• Hi Todd - We haven't tested this in making our No-Fail Pie Dough, but I am pretty confident you can do this on the stovetop. In the smallest pan you have, whisk together the cornstarch and water and, over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Continue to boil until it's set. This will probably only take 30 seconds - 1 minute. You can then transfer it to a small bowl and put it in the freezer as instructed. Hope this helps! Best, Lynn C.

• I mix the water and cornstarch in a 1 cup stainless steel cup and cook on the stove top until set. Works great!

• I am confused about "setting" the water and cornstarch. It seems to take a very short time in the microwave, per the recipe. Yet, it should boil for 30 seconds to one minute?

Thank you.

• Hi Frances - The heat of a microwave works fast and furious! With medium heat on a stovetop it will take a bit longer to solidify. Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.