WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Comments

• Hi Jee - This dough is very loose - almost a batter. It would be hard to mix and knead this by hand. You can certainly give it a try though. I would first mix the ingredients together using an oiled spatula until a dough forms and then try using oiled hands to knead the dough. If the dough is too sticky for this, try using an oiled spatula to turn the dough onto itself over and over again until the dough is shiny, wet and elastic. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• I'd love to know how this worked, if anyone tried it, as I too do not have a stand mixer. Thanks! Ellen

• I did this method yesterday. It worked like a dream. I did not use my hands at all - just an oiled spatula and I attempted to make the same movement as a dough attachment on a stand mixer. I mixed it by hand as long as the recommended time in the original recipe.

• Hi Anna - I'm so glad to hear this worked for you! Thanks for sharing with the group so others can benefit as well. Best, Lynn

• The pizza was good, but I did find the dough a bit salty for my taste. I would probably cut it by a third or half.

• Hi Diane - Just wanted to clarify that we use Diamond Crystal kosher salt at Milk Street. The type of salt you're using could cause this to be too salty. Due to the crystal size of the grains of salt, you would use less if you're using a different brand of kosher salt or table salt. For Morton's Kosher you'd want to use just over 2 heaping teaspoons in this recipe. For table salt you would want to use 2 teaspoons. If you are, in fact, using Diamond Crystal and just prefer it less salty, just reduce the amount of salt to your liking. Best, Lynn C.

• can this be cooked on a charcoal grill?

• Hi Ellen - The pizza dough is very loose and cooked in a pizza pan, so I would say no. Best, Lynn C.

• The specific salt brand would have been really nice to have added to the recipe. I see in another comment this was an issue. Guess I missed the memo on the proper salt to use. I used Morton’s . After a day of anticipation this is a complete salty expensive disappointment.

• Hi Melissa - I'm so sorry this recipe didn't work for you. I will pass your suggestion along to our Food Editor and Recipe Editor on adding the salt brand to recipes or, even, revisiting our recommended salt brand in an upcoming issue. In the meantime, here is an article we published about the differences in brands and types of salt and why we choose to use Diamond Crystal kosher salt. Christopher Kimball also did a video to go along with it. Hopefully this is helpful to you! Best, Lynn C.

• Re: Pour Pizza.

Question, is there a way to replace the flour with some Whole Wheat flour?

• Hi, I really wish you would specify the salt brand in the recipe. I spent all day on this, had made two recipes of it for a pod dinner, and discovered it was inedible. Our store has been out of Diamond Kosher for months, and I had no reason to think Morton's was significantly different.

• Hi Ita - We haven't tested this recipe with whole-wheat flour. Whole-wheat flour is ground from the whole wheat berry, which includes the bran, the germ, and the endosperm (all-purpose flour only includes the endosperm). The germ layer has more protein, but doesn't form gluten, which can cause dense breads and baked goods. Additionally, whole-wheat flour holds more water than all-purpose or bread flour so you will need to add more water to achieve the same very loose texture of this dough. For this recipe, since its hallmark is the light, airy texture I think that lightness would be compromised if any whole-wheat flour is added. However, if you're willing to try it, I would recommend only replacing 25% of the bread flour with whole-wheat flour. Good luck! Let us know if you try it and how it went. Best, Lynn C.

• Hi Suzanne - I'm so sorry you had issues with this recipe. I am passing along your comments to our Food Editor and Executive Editor who are working on a solution to our salt conundrum. We completely understand that it can be very confusing to account for different salts you may have in your kitchen. If you are using the types or brands we tested in our Salt Talk, we have provided the appropriate conversion. Again, I'm so sorry this didn't work out for you! Best, Lynn C.

• I assumed 4 teaspoons of Kosher salt was a typo - I used 1 teaspoon table salt based on the quantity of flour in the recipe and it was delicious! I also used 2 teaspoons of instant yeast , not 4 and 1/2 teaspoons the recipe called for. In the end, I didn't find it any easier/faster/tastier than the King Arthur pizza dough recipe I've been using all through the pandemic! I probably will go back to that tried and true method.

• I made this recipe and my husband, who is not a pizza lover LOVED it! This was one of the best pizza's I've ever made.

I did find that at the 500 degree oven, the cheese browned too quickly. How far down would you recommend that I adjust the heat the next time?

I used 4 tsp of kosher salt... the large crystal kind. I know now to cut this in half.

• Hi Judith - Did you make sure to put the rack in your oven on the lowest position? This will help ensure that the top doesn't get too brown before the crust bakes. If you still find the cheese is too browning too quickly, you could try reducing the temp by 25 degrees to 475. We recommend high heat to ensure the crust gets browned, so you'll probably need to cook this longer in order to get the bottom cooked through. Best, Lynn C.

• Will placing the dough in an oven with the proofing setting (100 degrees) for the 4 hours overproof the dough?

edit: I made this and it was fine.

• I was wondering if this recipe would work in a food processor, my mixer with the hook is out of commission. I will try this recipe this weekend. I have made the CI Pizza Bianca, No Roll and love working with that style dough.

• Hi Lauren - This is an incredibly wet dough that we think would probably gum up the food processor and its parts and not effectively mix the dough. Instead we would recommend making it by hand as others have done (see helpful notes and tips above). Best, The Milk Street Team

• I have made this pizza a handful of times and loved it each time. However, the timing makes it so I can only make it on a day off when I can start it ~6 hours before I want to eat and I was wondering if anyone has tried making the dough ahead and refrigerating it at some point, or letting it rise on the counter for a longer period of time? I saw in the recipe comments a couple people asked that question but there were no replies. Thanks!

• Kelly - yes! You can absolutely make this process a little longer and more flexible. Instead of a 4-5 hour rise in a warm place, you can cover the mixed dough and transfer it to the fridge for 12-16 hours. Once out of the fridge--where it will have risen some, but not fully--pull it out and let the dough come to room temperature and finish its rise, which will take a couple of hours. Then, proceed with the recipe as written.

-April D.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.