WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Shatter-worthy croissant

I am obsessed with pain au chocolat and have eaten every variety under the sun. Being somewhat of a snob about it, it's very very rare to find ones outside France where the croissant exterior delivers the proper "shatter" effect of bursting into tiny messy crunchy flakes when when you bite into it. I am assuming that if it's hard to find this among commercial bakeries in America, than trying to achieve this at home would be near impossible? Am I doomed to wait until the next time I can go to France to taste this again?

Comments

• Hi Lily - Croissant-making is really an art form developed over years of practice. Not sure if you've tried the croissants at Tartine Bakery in San Francisco (which have that shattering crumb) but, even their team, is constantly tweaking the recipe to perfect it. You can find their recipe in the revised version of their cookbook, Tartine: A Classic Revisited, or via a search online. The folks over at Saveur did a great article with the bakers there on some tips about croissant-making as well. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• @Lily . (Q&A ID 4321) , I feel the same way you do about croissants! I have tried and tried to bake them, but, never achieve the French style that I love so much. (Have achieved a great looking croissant, but, not the same taste) The last time we were in Paris we literally had them every morning. I have often wondered if the French butter is different that what I get here. Maybe so, but, I will just have to wait until I go back to France!

• European butter has a higher fat content compared to American. I think 83% to 80% and they say it makes a difference. And it is noted that Irish butter is not exactly like European butter. But still better than American. Also I read and now do, only use unsalted butter because it has less water in it.

I haven't entered croissant making yet. But there is a very noticeably great in my other baked goods. I will never go back to American unless its for cooking cookies or something where butter is not a "high" flavor.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.