WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

3 qt instant pot

I’ve just received your new Fast and Slow cookbook and a lot of the recipes look great. However, I have a 3 qt instant pot and all of the recipes are for a 6 qt device. What is the best way to reduce the recipes for 3 quarts? Thanks. Caroline

Comments

• Hi Caroline - We haven't tested it but, according to Instant Pot, you can halve the recipe. They do recommend keeping the times the same since, "once an Instant Pot pressurizes they all require the same amount of time to cook no matter how much food there is. So whether you want to cook one carrot or one bushel of carrots, it will take the same amount of time to cook. That said, with more ingredients, it may take a bit longer for the cooker to come up to pressure, and similarly, to depressurize after cooking." The only exceptions might be pasta, rice, or oatmeal which may require a specific amount of liquid in order to cook properly. You may have to experiment a bit with those to get the ratios correct. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

• I made the recipe for Tunisian Chickpeas with Swiss Chard (from the Milk Street Fast and Slow Cookbook) in my 3-qt. Instant Pot. I made the recipe exactly as listed except I just halved all the ingredients. I used the same cook-time as the time given for a 6-qt. IP. The recipe in the 3-qt. IP came out just great—the chickpeas were just slightly al dente the way I like them and the flavors and sauce texture were savory and delicious.

• Since we are a family of 2 right now I have been doing the same thing for all of the recipes so far and they have all worked out. I do find that since I am at 7,800 ft above sea level that I need to add 20% to the pressure dwell time.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.