WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

English Mess recipe

After listening to the Milk Street Podcast I would like to make the English Mess that was described. However, I cannot find the recipe. Could you please point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Eileen - I love the simplicity of that recipe! It's listed on the website under another name, which is probably why you couldn't locate it. So sorry about that! Here is the link. Best, Lynn C.

• Thank you so much! The cardamom mixed in the cream is absolutely divine!

• Question.

In step 3 of the Eton Mess recipe it says to "beat" the heavy cream, etc.

However, in step 4, it references the "whipped" cream.

Do you recommend utilising the whipping attachment or the paddle beater (I'm using a Kitchen Aid mixer).

Thanks!

M

• Hi Manoj - I agree, the language is a bit confusing here. You should be using the whisk attachment for the Kitchenaid mixer to mix the cream, sour cream, cardamom, sugar, and salt until the mixture thickens and holds peaks. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

• I made this recipe last night.... and WOW my meringue cookies caught fire in the broiler in what seemed a mere second !!! Maybe heat broiler, turn off to cool just a bit and then pop them under broiler?? We ate the berries with the cream and it was yummy but surely missed the crunch! Kiela

• Hi Kiela - I'm so sorry to hear that your cookies burned. That is definitely *not* supposed to happen. Just want to make sure - your cookies were at least 4" from the broiler? Sometimes an oven's top rack is is actually much closer than 4" from the broiler element. I would probably recommend putting the cookies on a lower rack (maybe the upper-middle or middle rack?). That should help slow down the browning so you get some nice caramelization without the cookies burning. I hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.