WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Vietnamese Caramel Fish sauce hardens

I have made this a couple times. The caramel sauce hardens after fish sauce and coconut water added. I heat is back up and is dissolves again but the sauce doesn't thicken. Why does my sauce harden?

Comments

• Hi Kay - the dramatic temperature change when you add the fish sauce and coconut water causes the caramel to solidify. This is relatively normal and it can just be reheated - over medium heat - until the caramel melts again. A couple of things can minimize the hardening - 1. using room temperature fish sauce and coconut water to close the gap between the two temperatures and 2.) adding the liquids *off* the heat (same reason as #1). The caramel sauce will take a good 10-15 minutes to thicken and coat the chicken. At first the chicken will release some of its liquid and loosen the caramel sauce - at this point it will look like it won't thicken enough. But if you let it continue to cook, it will eventually thicken to a glaze and coat the chicken. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.