WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

What is a cast iron Dutch oven good for?

I have two, inherited from my Mom. They are not enameled. Other than deep frying, what are these good for? I’m not able to eat much carbs these days.

Comments

• Hi Susan - a cast iron Dutch oven is basically the original Dutch oven. With proper care, they are sturdy, durable, heat evenly, and can last for generations. Just like the enameled version, cast iron Dutch ovens can be used to cook just about anything and everything on the stovetop and in the oven. And because they lack a painted coating, these pots fare much better on grills and over an open flame. All the same rules that apply to cast iron skillets also apply to cast iron Dutch ovens. This means cast iron Dutch ovens should be seasoned before they’re put to work, which pays off in the form of a nonstick surface over the inside of the pot. These pots require some extra attention when cleaning (no soap!), and are more prone to rust. For our technique on seasoning cast iron, please see this post by Christopher Kimball. Best, Lynn C.

• Hi Lynn, and thanks. Do you find that watery broths unseason the dutch oven? And I assume dishes with lots of tomatoes are still a no-no?

• Hi Susan - Yes, steer clear of tomato-based or acidic sauces that will simmer for a long time. Assuming your Dutch oven is very well-seasoned, though, you can probably get away with a quick simmer (less than 1/2 hour or so) or deglaze quickly with wine on the stovetop. Again, as long as your Dutch oven is very well-seasoned, you should be able to cook liquids in it. I would probably use a different pot, however, to boil water for pasta or blanching vegetables. Good luck!

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.