WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Tomato Sauce for Pizza Dough

Hello!

Could you please clarify the recipe for tomato sauce for pizza dough. The ingredient list says whole peeled tomatoes with juice.

Is the juice discarded or is it placed in the blender? The recipe only states “process the tomatoes” it makes no reference to the juice.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide :D

Comments

• Update: I’ve been making pizza for years and wanted to try this sauce. At the moment of truth it looked to liquidy as I followed the recipe without discarding. I ran the sauce through a strainer to remove excessive liquid. Is that the proper MilkStreet way?

• Hi Adam - The tomatoes and their juice are blended in batches - one blended smooth, the other left slightly chunky. The tomatoes are then added to the pot with the garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes, and simmered over low heat until a spatula leaves a trail when dragged through the sauce. This *should* take between 20-25 minutes, but everyone's cooktop heats differently. The visual clue (the spatula leaving a trail) is a better indication of the proper texture of the sauce when it's ready to be removed and cooled. I hope that helps! Best, Lynn

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.