WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

RISOTTO ALLA MILANESE: Saffron Prep

Good Evening,

I’m going to prepare the Risotto all Milanese tomorrow. I see the recipe calls for steeping the saffron. I’ve noticed that on several MilkStreet recipes that involve saffron. I always thought you got more out of the saffron by using mortar and pestle and then blooming with hot water or ice cubes. Is there some advantages to steeping the full thread?

Comments

• Hi Adam - Saffron is like tea in that it should be steeped in hot liquid to really enhance it’s flavor and aroma. After 10-15 minutes of steeping in the broth in the recipe, the liquid will grow deep orange in color and is ready to add. If you'd like you can simply crush the threads a bit with your fingers before adding to the water, but it's really not necessary. This method is a little simpler and more common in recipes that already call for water or broth (like our Risotto alla Milanese). For dishes that do not call for liquid, grinding the saffron to a powder with a little salt or sugar (to act as an abrasive) in a mortar and pestle will allow you to steep it in a smaller amount of water so you can add it to any dish at any point. Hope that clears it up! Best, Lynn

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.