WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

To salt or not to salt

I have perused the websites looking for how best to cook a good steak. There is a lot of commonality in their methods, albeit times may vary. The one thing I found that differed was some liberally salted the steak before cooking and others thoroughly disapproved of salting until after the cooking was done. Any words of wisdom from the kitchen on salting or not?

Cheers,

JB

Comments

• Hi John - At Milk Street, we are strongly in favor of salting steak before cooking. Food scientist Harold McGee, who wrote the book, On Food and Cooking, recommends this because the small amount of salt used to season meat has a hydrating effect - salt helps the cells hold onto water. There is further debate about how far in advance to season steaks. At Milk Street we almost always season right before cooking. If you've got the time and want to season and rest the meat for more than 40 minutes, you will get a drier surface and slightly more concentrated flavor. But, the flavor here can be pretty subjective. Some people prefer the cleaner flavor of a steak with more surface seasoning (seasoned right before cooking) while others prefer the "aged" flavor of a steak seasoned more than 40 minutes in advance. My opinion? Save yourself the time and season right before cooking. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• I was in Argentina in March and had an amazing Lima Bean appetizer called Portoes Pallares. When I google it, there seem to be several versions. The picture closest to what I am looking for is at https://www.foodista.com/recipe/ZB8FJ2T7/porotos-pallares-al-estilo-griego. The recipe is in Spanish so I can't follow it. In addition to lima beans, the version we had carrots, and possibly oil. It appeared to be vegetarian. Can you help?

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.