WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Garlic!!!

Hi! This is more about after the cooking is done than the cooking thereof. I can often get away with eating foods containing garlic (I assume it is the garlic) without any deleterious aftereffects. Sometimes however, and this mostly seems to be the case with processed foods or those prepared in a restaurant, I end up with an effusive parfum effect (Eau d'garlique) that drives my wife from the room. It does not seem to occur with foods made in my own kitchen, no matter how much garlic is included. Upon occurrence, the effect can last for days. Any idea what might be in prepared food that would magnify the effect? Any suggestions on what I might do to reduce the aura of ambiance the garlic produces? I have heard of ingesting peppermint as a remedy but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Not eating garlic is obviously a solution, but not always under my control.

Cheers,

JB

Comments

• Hi Susan and John - I'm sorry I missed your question! Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a foolproof remedy for garlic breath. Chopping or crushing garlic releases the compound allicin, which then breaks down into four other smelly compounds. The most mischievous of them is allyl methyl sulfide, which can linger in your body for a long time. It not only causes your breath to smell, but as it seeps into your bloodstream, it can affect your sweat and urine. According to this article from NPR, there's *some* evidence that the fat in milk can break down the allyl methyl sulfide so drinking a glass of milk can dissipate the smell.

Garlic’s pungency is easily controlled depending on how you prep it. Raw, unbruised garlic has only mild flavor, but damaging garlic's cells—by slicing, chopping or smashing—triggers a chemical reaction that produces its telltale flavor and aroma. The more garlic cloves are bruised—whether by smashing, slicing, mincing, chewing or, to a lesser extent, heating (it's flavor mellows when cooked above 140 degrees)— the greater the pungency. When this sharp flavor develops and then sits, it becomes even more unpleasant. It's likely that the garlic in processed foods or in the foods you've had in certain restaurants had been pre-minced and allowed to sit for a while making it more pungent than your freshly-minced or sliced garlic at home. Hope this helps! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.