WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Tamarind dipping sauce

Good Evening,

I have a few questions regarding the tamarind dipping sauce. I just prepared the sauce and I think I did not get the right consistency it seemed quite liquidy. Is there anything in particular I should be doing to achieve the proper consistency? I utilized the lemon grass paste that milk street is selling (Angkor) which leads me to another question are 4TBs of paste called for? Also I utilized tamarind concentrate, could you advise on how many tsp of tamarind concentrate should be used? Thank you for all your assistance!

Adam

Comments

• Update 1:

After some thought I think I may have went wrong also as I used the fine strainer which the recipe calls for. But since I used the the lemongrass paste and tamarind concentrate I probably should have not done that as that is resulting in a to thin consistency.

Thanks,

Adam

• Hi Adam - I think you're right in that when we call for the strainer we are expecting that you are using tamarind pulp and fresh lemongrass so that may have caused your sauce to be a bit thin. That being said, it isn't an overly thick sauce to begin with. Thinner than ketchup, I would say. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

• I am trying a recipe from Milk Street magazine that calls for tamarind pulp but I have tamarind concentrate. Is there a way to substitute the concentrate for the pulp?

• Hi Judith -

True tamarind concentrate is thicker, less fruity and has a more “cooked” and acidic flavor than tamarind pulp. It’s got the texture of hair pomade and is almost black in color (this is not to be confused with tamarind paste, which is usually more amber-colored, smooth and the texture of thick ketchup). I’d probably recommend using about half as much concentrate as pulp called for in a recipe. Since we haven’t tested using concentrate in this recipe, though, I unfortunately can’t give specific concentrate and water measurements. You will likely have to test out how much paste and water to use in the recipe to achieve the same results. For concentrate, you can skip the simmering step and you shouldn’t have much in the way of solids other than maybe some fibers from the ginger, so I don’t know how critical that step will be either. Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.