WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

CACIO E PEPE: How to avoid clumping

I’m quite frustrated with myself as I have struck out twice with this recipe. The cheese is clumping and separating from starch water mixture it is definitely not close to a uniform mixture. I’m kind of bummed today I had some nice imported pecorino and good pancetta so that’s like nearly $20 of good ingredients basically down the drain. We ate it but did not enjoy. Please help me trouble shoot and please see facts below as they may matter to the outcome.

1) I used 100% Italian pecorino (mid grade, once Trader Joe’s and next time Whole Foods)

2) Cheese was grated properly on smallest spikey holes on the box grater

3) Heat was not to high this 2nd time I was very cautious

4) Cornstarch was used as the recipe called for

5) Pasta water was reserved

Would I achieve better results to just heat up the cornstarch water separately. Once pasta is complete just drop in grated cheese and pour hot water mixture over and stir. I can’t imagine it could clump more than my current situation.

Comments

• I've run into the same results twice myself. Mine looked exactly like yours. If you look at the recipe there is a review with the same problem, and a response from staff stating that using the reserved pasta water should solve the issue.

While I haven't tried that myself, I can't see how pasta water will break down clumps of cheese. That does not make sense to me.

On the comments for a CeP recipe on BA's website, a user posted his method: Combine cheese & pepper, add to bowl. Cook pasta, reserve water. Add pasta to bowl and incorporate water while stirring until properly combined. I think I'll try that next. I really want this recipe to work.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.