WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

substitute for cilantro

My husband and I cannot tolerate cilantro. What other spices or herbs can I use instead?

Comments

• I'm in the same boat, Linda! My genes make it taste like soap and it just ruins everything for me if it's included in a recipe! I frequently substitute parsley or arugula in recipes calling for cilantro. I really don't know what cilantro tastes like to those that enjoy it, but I've read/heard that it tastes fresh and somewhat citrusy, so another thing that you could try that I like is sumac with some parsley or arugula. Sumac is a spice that is often used in Middle Eastern cooking and is a major ingredient in za'atar. Give it a try and you might enjoy it as much as I do.

• Hi Linda and Estelle -

You are definitely not alone. We get many questions from readers who have an aversion to cilantro. Here are some suggestions:

• If you're making something that is cooked you could add ground coriander when you add garlic, onion, or spices. Coriander is the seed of the cilantro plant so their profiles will be similar however, when dried and ground, the flavor isn't as potent.
    • Substitute fresh parsley with a splash of lemon or lime juice. Cilantro has a grassy flavor with citrus notes so the grassiness of parsley combined with the citrus juice can replicate it. 
    • There is some research that suggests crushing cilantro makes it milder because it breaks down an enzyme that lowers the amount of aldehyde in the leaves. Try using it this way in a dish that you know and love - guacamole, salsa, tacos, for example, to see if you still find it offensive. 

Hopefully one of these options will work for you!  Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.