WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Italian Cookbook Recommendations

Hi All, I've been obsessed with Pasta Grannies and would like to start focusing in on Italian cooking, aside from the Pasta Grannies Cookbook, and recommendations for a newbie?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Jennifer - I'm hoping others on the board have some suggestions for you, but these are some that I like. Definitely read Matt Goulding’s Pasta, Pane, Vino. It’s more of a travelogue than a cookbook but it colorfully explores food culture all over Italy and the stories he tells about the people he meets along the way are told in such a way that you feel like you have visited Italy, even if you haven’t. Marcella Hazan’s Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking is basically the Italian Food bible. It’s my go-to resource whenever I want the authentic basics. La Cucina: The Regional Cooking of Italy is a massive book but really explores every region of Italy and introduces you to the most famous dishes of each region and at least as many that you’ve probably never heard of. Forewarning: no photos. There are tons of others, but I'll let others weight in as well! Happy reading! Best, Lynn C.

• Jennifer, Lynn made excellent suggestions, with those books and Milk Street you will be able to master most Italian recipes. The Food Lab by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt has a section on tomato sauce and pasta with basic recipes and the science behind it. Interesting and simple. I use my local library to digitally down load books of interest. My library has a great selection of cookbooks, some are not digitized so I just do an old fashioned check out. Hope this helps

• Without a doubt, Hazen’s “Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking” is the best. Two others that I treasure: “Biba’s Northern Italian Cooking,” by Biba Caggiano, and “Cuccina Rustica” by La Place and Kli

• For what it’s worth, I have used Marcella Hazan’s, “Classic Italian Cookbook” (published in the early1990's, I believe) for decades. I consider it one of my essential cookbooks. Perhaps her newer “The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking” (published in 2012) is something I need to consider. Lynn, if you are reading this, do you consider this newer book a must have upgrade? Thanks.

• Hi Timothy - The "Essentials" book is basically a compilation. It combines the recipes from her original "Classic Italian Cookbook" and the follow-up, "More Classic Italian Cooking." I think there are some new recipes added as well, so I would definitely say it's a worthwhile purchase since you get everything all in one place. It will render your Classics cookbook somewhat obsolete though! Hope that helps! Best, Lynn

• Both the "Classic Italian Cookbook" and the "More Classic Italian Cooking" have very useful suggestions for meal planning or accompaniments to each recipe which are not included in "The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking".

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.