WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Frozen Veg

So I have a question regarding vegetables and freezing them. Mostly I am tired of buying produce and have it go bad before I use them. I was curious if things such as chopped Romain, onions, or celery can be frozen to be used later. I know it seems odd but i just grow weary of going to chop things to find it’s bleh. Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Garth - You can freeze chopped onions and celery (carrots and peppers too for mirepoix or sofrito) as long as you are going to then use them in cooked applications. The freezer causes ice crystals to form which will break down the cell walls of the vegetables and soften them more than you would like if eating them raw. Since they will soften as they cook anyway, they should be fine for cooked applications. On that same note, I wouldn't advise freezing lettuce since the breakdown that occurs with lettuce is even more evident and will turn most lettuces slimy in the process. One exception might be kale but, again, I would probably only recommend it if you were going to then cook it. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.