WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Pie crust recipe—can it be doubled?

Can your recipe for a single pie crust be doubled? What mods need to be made to the recipe for doubling (I assume it’s not quite twice as much of everything, given other double pie crust recipes I have seen and used)?

Comments

• Hi Joseph - We previously asked Christopher Kimball this question and you can find his answer here. Best, Lynn C.

• I tried to find a satisfactory answer to this question, but I couldn't - it doesn't seem to be answered in the link provided above. I decided to go ahead and use this crust recipe for the top crust of a chicken pot pie. It was an easy recipe, came together well, was a bit sticky to work with, but otherwise was soft and easy to roll out. As an upper crust, it was a bit fragile upon baking. It was tender, but not flaky. I feel this crust probably works best for blind baking, but otherwise, I will stick to a more standard crust - like Sara Moulton, I'm partial to the fraisage technique for pie crust or Stella Park's recipe which uses a modified version of fraisage.

• Hi Jennifer - In the link above we mention that Chris Kimball recommends the following: "...when doubling the recipe for a double-crust pie, increase the flour to 2 1/2 cups (slightly more than doubled) and then double the remaining the ingredients." This may be why the dough was a little stickier and more fragile. Although it sounds like you'd prefer to use a different dough recipe anyway, I'd recommend this flour amount for the future. We love Sara and Stella so I'm sure their recipes are great as well! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.