WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Fast and Slow Coconut rice with red beans

I was curious about the water to rice ratio in the coconut rice with beans recipe in the Fast and Slow cookbook. Usually the water to rice ratio in the Instant Pot is 1 to 1. In this recipe, it asks for 1.5 cups rice to 2.5 cups coconut water. It’s not clear why this ratio is different in this case so I just wanted to make sure this is correct before proceeding with the recipe. Thank you!

Comments

• Hi Mei - Yes, this amount is correct because we are not only cooking rice in water. In addition to the rice and the coconut water, we've got scallions, garlic, bell peppers, and cilantro stems, all of which contain some amount of water too. After testing the recipe multiple times we've tried to anticipate how much water those vegetables will release and adjusted the amount of coconut water accordingly. Hope that helps explain the difference. Best, Lynn C.

• Thanks Lynn for your response. I got confused because the Jollof Rice recipe uses less water but I realized that recipe also calls for a can of diced tomatoes. Plus when I make rice in the InstantPot, I use the 1:1 ratio so I was wondering whether having a lower rice:water ratio would make mushy rice in this recipe. I just made the Coconut Rice recipe as written with basmati rice and it came out excellent. I would definitely be making it again, thanks.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.