WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Lemon-Almond Pound Cake a bit dry

Hello

Posted this comment/question in the recipe comment section also. Followed this recipe to the letter and the cake came out a bit dry. I noticed another comment with the same issue. I used a glass loaf pan. Wondering if I somehow over baked it. My oven temperature is not significantly off. In contrast I just baked your Mexican Sweet Corn Cake which turned out great however I actually had to bake it a bit longer to get a clean toothpick. I had high hopes for this recipe and would like to give it another go.

Comments

• Hi Kathie - I do think it's the glass loaf pan causing the cake to be overbaked. Glass is an insulator. It takes longer to heat up but, once it does, it holds the heat longer. And while that can result in more even baking, it can also mean that the edges and bottoms will brown too quickly, and sometimes before the inside has cooked through. Once out of the oven, your loaf will take longer to cool down, which can create a slightly drier cake. The standard advice for baking in glass is to lower the oven temperature by 25°F from what the recipe calls for and bake up to 10 minutes longer. I would also ensure that your loaf pan measure 9x5, which is what we use when testing our recipes. A slightly larger or smaller loaf pan can affect how quickly the cake bakes as well. I hope this is helpful! Best, Lynn C.

• I took a picture of how this pound cake came out, twice, because I really wanted someone at Milkstreet to see it. This was a complete dismal fail. There does not seem to be a way to post pictures here, though.

I consider myself an experienced baker with many many pound cakes under my belt. In both attempts at this recipe, the result was a completely dense, sunk in the middle mess.

No, I did not open the oven door, nor was there a loud bang in the kitchen. I followed the recipe exactly. The second time I even bought new ingredients to make sure everything was fresh.

When did the cake begin to sink? As soon as I lowered the temperature. And it continued to sink until it looked like a bathtub. As far as that "velvety texture", uh, no, not so much. More like thick gross cornbread.

What a waste.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.