WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

question on old family Czeck dessert

When I was growing up my grandmother, of Czeck descent, used to make a unique dessert for the holidays. The dessert is called dolecky (go to google translate for pronunciation). I have looked, but have not found any reference to this dessert. The dessert consists of the following. It starts with a raised sweet bread biscuit (about 3/4" thick) made with golden raisins. On this goes first, cottage cheese, followed by whipped prunes with unsweetened whipped cream on top. Most people hear these combinations and are not too impressed, however we were always excited when we had this dessert and enjoyed it very much-sometimes too much!!

I'm curious in your experience or travels if you have come across this dessert or something similar.

Thank you,

Walt Gessler

Watson, MN

Comments

• Hi Walt - We've never come across anything called dolecky in our travels, but we have seen kolaches. These are sweet, raised buns - sometimes with raisins, sometimes not - that are filled/topped with cream cheese and fruit. Prunes are a popular filling in these, so I'm wondering if your dessert might be your grandmother's version of kolaches? If you do an internet search for kolaches you will find dozens of versions and recipes to determine if this is similar to your grandmother's dessert. Good luck and let us know if this is the same dessert! Best, Lynn C.

• I have my great aunt Josie's Dolecky recipe made with mashed potatoes. I can send you a jpg of it. Can't do attachments here.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.