WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Homemade Mayonnaise and Aioli

Hello does homemade mayonnaise or aioli really only keep for one week in the refrigerator. I always make mine more acidic than that stuff at the grocery store, so I would think it would keep longer than a single week. I've been too cautious to ever use it past a week in the fridge. Afraid it would be instant food poisoning. What is the truth on the matter?

Comments

• Hi Craig - Even if you add more acid to your mayonnaise it's impossible to know if it's enough to prevent bacteria growth in the mayonnaise. Although it's probably not going to be instant food poisoning, I'd still recommend only keeping homemade mayo for a week or, at most, two. The only way to safely extend the shelf life of homemade mayonnaise is to use pasteurized eggs. Some higher-end stores carry pasteurized eggs or you can try to pasteurize eggs yourself at home. There are several methods for home pasteurization - sous vide, microwave, or stovetop - which involve slowly heating the egg yolks to 160 degrees before making the mayo. Because this *may* cause the yolks to thicken and not properly emulsify, you may need to add some water while heating to keep them more fluid. It may take a bit of trial and error, but you could then store your mayonnaise for about a month. Hope this helps! Best, Lynn C.

• Hi Lynn,

Thank you that is a good idea.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.