WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Self-glazing cake?

I've been trying to figure out how to make a cake my mom made in the '60s. It was similar to gingerbread - one layer in an 8x8 pan. The unusual thing is that you could turn it out of the pan and it had a glaze in the bottom that would drip over the cake. I thought I had found the answer when I saw an episode of the Great British Baking Show in which they made self-saucing puddings. But when I tried making a recipe for that, the sauce had more of a gravy consistency than a glaze.

Mom's spice cake/gingerbread had something more like what is at the bottom of a pineapple upside down cake, but there was no fruit in it.

I will keep experimenting with the self-saucing pudding idea, but would love advice/input from others on this. Thank you!

Comments

• Hi Linda - This sounds like a pudding cake, for sure. We have a recipe on the website for a Maple-Whisky Pudding Cake (baked in individual ramekins) but the cake doesn't get turned out - the glaze-y sauce starts at the top and ends up at the bottom of the ramekin.Two tips with this kind of cake - 1.) make sure to pour the sauce in and let it sit on top of the cake batter, don't stir! and 2.) don't over-bake the cake. If you do, the sauce becomes a bit thicker and isn't as distinct. Others here may have some ideas, but I think a search for a gingerbread pudding cake would probably yield a good starting point. You could then experiment with turning the cake out rather than leaving it in the pan as most recipes do. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• I had better luck finding recipes by searching under "up-side-down" cakes. Many were for pineapple, but I found some other ones that didn't involve pineapple or other fruit.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.