WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

nut free replacement for almond flour in baking

Hi There,

My partner is allergic to nuts but everything I want to bake inevitably requires almond flour... I know it's usually OK to substitute with all-purpose but I've read different things about the ratio. Some sources use a 1:1 ratio, others say 2:1 (for 2 cups of almond, sub 1 cup of all-purpose). Could you weigh in on the general rule in this regard?

I'm also wondering about eggs. I've read some sources that say to decrease the amount of eggs by up to half when swapping out almond flour for all-purpose. 

The particular recipe I want to try (included in the attachment below) is for poppy seed cake, which calls for 1/2 a cup of almond flour (in addition to 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp all purpose flour) and 5 large egg whites. In the interest of not having to make multiple attempts, and waste ingredients could you advise:

a- HOW MUCH extra all-purpose flour to use in place of the almond flour,

b- How many egg whites (whole eggs?) (if any) should I subtract? 

c- What (if any) influence will this have on baking time?

*** Same questions in regards to using coconut flour (in place of all-purpose) as a substitute for the almond. I know this is a ton trickier because of how absorbent it is. Would you add eggs/egg whites in this case? 

Thanks so much, Milk Street is my canon, in the kitchen and out!

Sarah

Sacramento

(917) 405-1496

Comments

• Was there an answer to this question?

• Hi Tim and Sarah -

We are sorry we missed your question, Sarah.

These substitutions would require us to perform lots of tests as well in order to provide reliable and trusted recommendations, which we, unfortunately, don't have the time to do with our already-packed kitchen schedule.

We are so sorry we can't provide more specifics, but we hope you understand.

Best,

The Milk Street Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.