WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

How to get Adam Gopnik's recipe for 5C Flan

Today I listened to Christopher's delightful interview of Adam Gopnik and I would love to have Adam's recipe for his life's success: the Five "C" Flan.

And in googling trying to find this recipe today, I learned that Adam gave one of my favorite Moth talks about "LOL." fabulous.

Thanks,

Ann

Comments

• Yes, can we get this please?!

• Hi Folks -

Adam just sent us his recipe. Please find it below. Enjoy!

Five C Quarantine Flan

(Coconut- Cinnamon- Cardamom Cr.me Caramel.)

1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk

3/4 cup milk

3/4 cup heavy cream

Four egg yolks and two whole eggs

1/2 cup sugar

One cup sugar

One teaspoon of cinnamon

1/4 cup cold water

Four to six cardamom pods

Approx. 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

Make caramel on stove: dissolve sugar in water and cook until browned and almost burnt.

Take off stove and add a teaspoon of cinnamon and stir into the super-hot caramel.. (You can

buy pre-made cardamom -cinnamon sugar from Milk Street on line to caramelize, but this will

work as well.)

Pour the caramel into the bottom of four souffle dishes. (There’s usually enough left over for

two mini-souffl. dishes as well. The minis are fun to have for dieting spouses.)

Using a whisk, beat the eggs and egg yolks with the sugar— you can use relatively little sugar

with the egg yolks, since the coconut milk is naturally sweet. But not for too long -- just until it

is a beautiful lemony yellow.

Heat the coconut milk, whole milk and heavy cream in a pot. Stir in the husked cardamom pods

and the coconut. Make the mixture hot and just steaming-smoking but not truly boiling.

Pour the hot milks into the egg mixture ,beating all the while with the whisk to keep the eggs

from cooking.

Pour the egg and milk mixture, with the coconut and cardamom still in it, into the souffle cups

with the cinnamon caramel hardened on the bottom. (If the mixture’s super-frothy, you can

strain it through a sieve, which will leave the cardamom and coconut behind…in that case, mix

them back in cup by cup. I never find this step—straining -- makes much difference, but some

like to do it.)

Put the soufflé's cups into a big baking dish with boiling water poured right up so that it comes to

about a third of the way up each cup.

Bake for approx. thirty minutes, or until set.

Refrigerate. Unmold by running a sharp knife around the edge of each creme caramel and

inverting onto a pretty plate. Scoop out the residual caramel, there’s always some, with the

knife or spoon unto the flan.

Serve with pleasure.

• This is so helpful--my daughter and I loved the interview on NPR and were inspired to make the recipe.

What temperature should the souffles be baked at?

• Can you please confirm the oven temp for 5C Flan?

Tip - briefly dip refrigerated dishes in very warm water before inverting to serve, and the carmel crackle will slip right out

• Hi Mary - Adam didn't provide us with a temperature, but most flan/creme caramel are baked at 325-350 degrees. I would probably go with the lower temperature and follow the visual clues, just to ensure it doesn't overcook and you get a better idea of timing. Best, The Milk Street Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.