WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Salting A Big Turkey

Hello Milk Street Friends,

I will be salting a big turkey for Thanksgiving. Maybe 22 lbs, that is what I did last year. I will pick the biggest freshest most organic one I can get. I lost my salting instructions from last year. How much salt per pound do I use. I know Diamond Crystal Kosher is the best. Last year there was some baking soda in the salt rub I think for browning, but I do not remember how much. I am not sure if you recommend using spices in the salt rub, but if you do I would welcome your suggestions. The turkey will be butterflied and cooked with an apple-cranberry glaze. I love to butterfly a big beast with my giant meat saw. Anyway, how much salt per pound and baking soda or spices if recommended? Thank you so much and Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

• Hi Craig - It sounds like you have a pretty good turkey plan in place! We've only got a couple of turkey recipes here at Milk Street and they are both all about simplicity. Neither involves a brine, but the Tea-Rubbed Maple Turkey has a salt-smoky tea-white pepper rub. In that case we are using a 12-14 lb. turkey and using 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of white pepper, and 6 bags of lapsang souchong tea, rubbing the turkey, and letting it sit for 24 hours before roasting. However, I don't think our tea rub follows the recommended formula, which is 1 teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of turkey. No baking soda involved in that recipe. Our other turkey, Brown Ale Turkey and Gravy, is basted with a flavorful (salty) liquid while roasting so no need to brine/salt. I think if you want to stick with your plan you'd want to follow the general recommendation of 1 teaspoon of salt per pound. Happy Thanksgiving! Best, Lynn C.

• Thank you and I think I will add the white pepper too

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.