WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Instantpot Troubling- Black Beans and Chicken Biryani

Hi, I love and use the Fast and Slow recipes and cookbook, but I had to fails recently (I was able to fix by adding more liquid and time). I have made many recipes prior to the Black Beans and Chicken Biryani fails. I also successfully made the chipolte pulled chicken after the two fails. I followed the recently as written except instead of water, I used homemade chicken broth. I used chicken backs and a wings to up the gelatin, although it was liquid while defrosting in the fridge. Could this have been the problem (I substitute brother for water on a 1:1 basis). The only other factor I could think of is I have a very old Instantpot, and it does not have the bells and whistles of the newer ones, including the "Burn" alert.

In both dishes, the beans/rice were not fully cooked or hydrated. Both required the addition of time and water to complete (they did turn out good, however). Any assistance is appreciated.

While I have you attention, I learned I have a goose (I thought it was a gander I use to protect my ducks). Do you know of any recipes or resources specific to goose eggs? Many I have seen just substitute 1 goose egg for 3 chicken eggs.

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Had this exact thing just happen. Rice not even close to being cooked.

• Did you happen to put salt in with the beans? Sometimes if you do, they won't fully cook. I've made (and even doubled) the Chicken Biryani without an issue and it's one of my go-to's. I'd maybe try both with the water instead of the chicken broth to keep the sodium down and see if that'll help fully cook the beans and rice for you.

I don't know about goose eggs but we had Emu eggs at a little cantina across the border (when it was a bit more open!) for heuvos ranchero's and they were phenomenal! Plus it was one egg to make a few servings. The only reason we found out is one of my friends is a bigger guy and he kept asking for "dos heuvos" and she tried to tell him "no, no, senior - grande heuvos!" which he didn't get until she pointed out the window at the emus! Very fresh tasty eggs though :)

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.