WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

"Worth Our Salt" from Kitchen Counts

I just read your article "Worth Our Salt" in Kitchen Counts (March-April 2021). In it, you state: "Historically, we developed our recipes with Diamond Crystal, but we recently switched to Morton." I applaud the switch to Morton, but how will we know which salt was used in each recipe?

Also, I realize that rounding numbers with fractions (especially after multiplying) can yield seemingly incorrect results (i.e., 1 teaspoon of Morton Kosher salt = 4.8 grams, so 1 tablespoon = 14.4 grams; but rounded up/down would look like: 1 teaspoon = 5 grams, and 1 tablespoon = 14 grams... seemingly incorrect), but how does Himalayan Pink Salt, Coarse go from 7 grams for 1 teaspoon to (x3) 18 grams for 1 tablespoon?

Similarly, converting Maldon Sea Salt from teaspoon to tablespoon goes from 4 grams to 10 grams; and Sea Salt, Fine goes from 6 grams to 15 grams. Even experimenting with extreme possible fractions, I cannot get the math to work (say 6 grams was actually, at the least, 5.5 grams, then x3 would equal 16.5 grams... rounded up to 17 grams, not 15 grams). Sorry to be a pain, but thank you!

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.