WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Focaccia

My friend in Canada has been making the focaccia with tomatoes and olives. She does not think that the dough is pourable or “sloshy” enough. Could there be a difference between Canadian and American bread flour. What would be a good solution to this problem? Should she add more water or lessen the amount of flour? Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Hi Carol - I think the difference is in the flour. Canadian bread flour is higher in protein than most U.S. brands of bread flour (even King Arthur, which is generally touted as the highest). Canadian all-purpose flour is actually much closer to our bread flour. I would also ensure she is weighing the flour. Canadian flour is more finely milled than American flour and could cause the proportions of flour to water to be off as well. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• Thank you so much for the information. It will help her succeed.

• i dont have baking steel or stone. how will this affect my bread

• Hi Barbara -

You will not get the expected browning on the bottom of the bread without a steel or stone.

Best,

The Milk Street Team

• I'm going to try the tomato-olive focaccia, baking it in a 12" cast-iron skillet (all I have are non-stick 9x13 pans). Do I still need to use the baking stone?

• Hi Kate - If you preheat your skillet you probably don't need the steel/stone. If not, we would still recommend it. A cast iron skillet takes quite a while to heat up so the cast iron won't add much benefit unless it's preheated. Best, The Milk Street Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.