WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

How long do preserved lemons last?

In 2019 I made a large jar of preserved lemons, and I still have about 1/3 of it left. How do I know if it is still save to use? It does not smell "off", there is no mold/funny color, and it does seem to taste ok, but I am still a bit nervous about using it. Is there a rule of thumb or way to tell if something preserved has spoiled, other than sending yourself/family/guests to the er?

Comments

• Hi Claudia - Most reputable sources would recommend keeping preserved lemons for about a year. Especially if the jar has been opened. Best, Lynn C.

• Thank you! That is helpful. Time to make a new batch!

• I have purchased several of your cook books - the latest Tuesday Night Mediterranean. I just made the Moroccan Inspired Roasted Spiced Chicken as printed in the recipe. It was amazing, but I wondering if one can substitute EVOO for the butter, and would it significantly change the dish.

Thanks

• Hi Joseph - We haven't tested it with EVOO, but I assume it will work. You will, however, lose a little bit of flavor and, since the recipe calls for salted butter, I would probably add some extra salt to compensate if you choose to use EVOO. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.