WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

A quartered small pig, frozen gifted to me

We've been gifted a quartered, frozen, small pig from a new farmer. 21 pounds in total: two front legs, two hind legs, one ?torso.  I'll be cooking it off for my son and buddies. Do I brine it? (thaw then brine, or toss in brine frozen?) I would only think to moist bake it for a pulled pork, but I'm not sure if that's best. I have access to a gas grill, no smoker, two ovens. Help?

Comments

• Hi Theresa - Lucky you! I don't think you need to brine it - if it's a young pig it's probably pretty fatty and succulent already. I would probably roast it low and slow and then crank the heat at the end to crisp the skin. Friend of Milk Street, J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, does this method in his guide to roasting a whole suckling pig at Serious Eats, which you can find here. Good luck and enjoy it! Best, Lynn C.

• Thanks. I'd read that article, but I'm a little squeamish knowing nothing of the provenance of the pig. I cooked a farm raised turkey without brining and it was so tough! Thanks for this and the good luck wishes. Can't really go wrong with Lopez-Alt!

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.