WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Jacques Pepin French Omlette on Induction element

Hello again!

I want to try my hand on Pepin's famous french omlette but do not currently have access to a gas range - only an electrical stove top. JP is very clear that you need a gas range for it to work as you require total heat coverage of the pan for it to work.

I wonder if a portable induction element would do the trick?

Thanks,

Dave

Comments

• Hi Dave - I probably wouldn't go out and buy an induction burner just to make this omelette. Although it's certainly easier to make a French omelette on a gas range since the flame will heat around the side the pan, it *can* be done on an electric range. One of the keys to success here is to be able to control the heat level and where it goes, which you can do in a couple of ways. First, obviously, is by adjusting the burner's heat itself. This would be easier to do on a gas cooktop or induction. Second, you can move the pan on and off the heat and use the residual heat of the pan to cook the eggs. This is especially important when using an electric or induction cooktop since you can use the heat of the pan to cook the egg along the sides of the pan. Since induction burners turn off when you remove the pan they aren't super helpful in this case. I would probably try to master the technique on your regular electric range rather than buy another piece of equipment. I'm not 100% familiar with Jacques Pepin's recipe but I know most traditional French recipes call for high or medium-high heat. I would instead advise a more moderate heat so you have more control. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• This is great feedback....thanks Lynn!

• Dave,

I also have an electric range in my house, as no gas service is available in my area. Last year I purchased a portable butane burner, similar to the ones they use at omelet stations at buffets. They're more reasonably priced than portable induction ranges. I got a 15,000 BTU burner for a little over $50 (plus $10 or so for some butane canisters). It works great! I've used it for Korean Barbeque, Shabu-Shabu and fondue. Would work wonderfully for omelets as well. The only caveat is that it is gas fueled, so make sure you use one of these devices in a well ventilated areas. Good luck, Lee

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.