WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

White Fish Substitutes

Hi, I am hoping for a generalized hard and fast rule for substituting firm white fish (are there unfirm white fish?). Specifically I am looking at Vietnamese Turmeric Fish, which calls for tilapia, but stating that other firm white fish will do. Would catfish, rockfish or mahi mahi fall into this category (easiest versions to get fresh ((first two)) or frozen, respectively). How would flat fish like flounder fall into this?

While I am asking, what about freshwater fish like walleye, bass or trout?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi Keith -

When we call for firm white fish we generally mean mildly flavored, quick-cooking fish that usually isn’t very expensive. Popular kinds of white fish are tilapia, cod, bass, grouper, haddock, catfish, and snapper, and these are great for frying, searing, using in soups and chowders, and baking. Generally anything other than tuna, swordfish, salmon or other oil-rich and less mild fish should work in this recipe. Just keep in mind that, if the filets are thinner, they will cook faster and, if they are more flaky, they will be a bit more challenging to flip.

Best,

The Milk Street Team

• Great, thanks for the clarification!

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.