WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Mexican Wedding Cookies (aka Russian Tea Cakes)

I have been on a multi-decade hunt for a recipe that produces a sort of doughy center to these cookies, like the cookie my grandmother made. Anyone have one to share?

The recipes I find and have tried all yield a crispy center.

What am I looking for in a doughy-center recipe... is it the addition of an egg? powdered sugar rather than granulated? less butter? relatively less flour?

Thanks for saving me the trouble of making yet another disappointing recipe!

Comments

• Dear Lynn,

Perhaps you have already found the solution to making doughy centered Mexican wedding cookies. If not, this article from Food 52 might be able to help. The author mentions "The addition of ground-up nuts almost guarantees tender cookies."

Here is the link. https://food52.com/blog/19002-swap-one-ingredient-get-entirely-new-rich-buttery-cookies

Also, I would be happy to do a little research to see if your grandmother made something similar to Mexican wedding cookies but was something else entirely. If you could tell me where your grandmother was from, where she lived and in what time period, we might find a solution to your multi-decade hunt.

Best,

Elizabeth

Milk Street's Culinary Researcher

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.