WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Should all meat be salted overnight?

I've heard that many recipes benefit from having any protein salted overnight and left, uncovered in the refrigerator. I've always been skeptical. Then I heard Samin Nosrat say that she recognized a certain redundancy of things at Chez Panisse and took note. I took note that she said all meats were salted overnight. Should I be doing this? If so, kosher salt and sparsely or more liberal application? Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Karmen - We do recommend an *overnight* salting (which translates to about 12 hours) for some, but not all, proteins. Large proteins such as roasts, whole chickens, and turkeys do need to rest overnight after salting in order to achieve all of the benefits. Rest overnight in the refrigerator, uncovered, on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet. For smaller cuts, such as steaks, pork chops, and chicken parts you only need to salt and rest for 45 minutes or until the surface is dry. This may be less than 45 minutes for smaller chicken parts. Thick white fish fillets (salmon, tuna, swordfish, halibut) can benefit from dry brining by providing overall better flavor and slightly firmer flesh. A minimum of 30 minutes and a max of about 90 for fish, otherwise you'll end up curing it. Best, The Milk Street Team

• Thanks for your reply.

I heard in a recent podcast that if you can't salt steaks for at least two hours, you should just do right beforehand as the salt will draw moisture and do more harm than good if only 30 minutes or so? I feel like that was on a Milk Street podcast from a guest and yet can't swear to that!

• Hi Karmen - Unfortunately, I am not sure what may have been said on the podcast, but I personally usually recommend a minimum of 45 minutes for steak. If you don't have that time, then salt and sear. This is based on Kenji Lopez-Alt's research from his book, The Food Lab. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.