WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Pyrex measuring cup/ glass

Lately I have purchased Liquid measuring Cups WITH incident!! The gold standard (and most common) has always been Pyrex ( my mother has a Pyrex measuring cup that was her mother’s, as does my paternal grandmother; these things are well over 40 years old! They are perfectly legible, perform well and have for decades).

I recently moved into a new place and figured that I would do a “measuring cup refresh” so I purchased both a 4 cup Pyrex measuring glass and a beaker style 4 cup measuring vessel (non- Pyrex) I fancied the look of!

I did not expect the Beaker style glass to be superior to the Pyrexx one, and it was not, the markings began to fade after the first wash, by the third they were completely GONE!

Similarly and surprisingly, the 4 cup Pyrex that I purchased I nearly immediately returned because the numbers and indicator lines completely wore off AFTER THE FIRST WASH! So the store exchanged it for another, and those numbers/ lines completely disappeared! So I again took it back and went to a different store thinking maybe that the previous store was delivered a defective batch….Nope!

Exactly the same results! Now, I sometimes put these in the dishwasher and it’s tempered glass and dishwasher safe. My grandmother’s and my mother’s have been in and out of the dishwasher countless times!!!

This sure seems like a good example of the old but possibly sage diatribe: “they don’t make ‘em like they used to!”

Does anybody know what’s going on with measuring cups these days, as I said earlier, it’s not just Pyrex? I mean these items are perhaps the most common handed down kitchen item and one of the most common kitchen items, period.

Another thing is this, my mom told me (I’m 32) that back in the late 70s and 80s there was a big push to use weight for cooking measurements rather than measuring cups i.e. 300 g of flour, etc.

I find it a pain when weight is given/ used in recipes because most at-home cooks (I know and talk to at least) - - do not have one readily accessible or find it more difficult. I understand ‘they’ (whoever ‘they’ is maybe the editors of this magazine, or Chris Kimball hahaha) say it’s more accurate etc. but people have cooked/ baked without a digital scale For decades with perfectly fine results.

thoughts?

Comments

• This happened to me as well. I ended up etching in the volumetric amounts with a dremel and it is no longer a problem. I had hoped to buy a measuring cup with raised and not printed measurements. Not much luck on this front.

• I hand wash my measuring cups and the markings have not washed away. The dishwasher does a lot of damage.

• I had the very same experience with the printing on a new four cup Pyrex. My two cup and one cup still have their markings. My old one cup is fifty years old and I can still see the markings. This is a tool that is washed in the dishwasher often and I didn’t expect it to fail. What is going on with quality of Pyrex?

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.