WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Acid

I watch a few cooking competition shows and I sometimes here them say it needs a little acid. My question is when do you know or how to know something needs a little acid? An example would be my family would add malt vinegar to ham and beans at the table. Could they have added the vinegar while cooking? I know that acid also includes citrus juices as well, are they used the same as vinegar?

Comments

• Hi Mark - We often add acid in order to properly balance a dish. Ideally, in savory dishes, you want a balance of salt, fat, acid, and heat (and this one can be as simple as a little black pepper). Acid plays an important role in brightening flavors if they are flat or bland, reigning in sweetness, or toning down richness. Sometimes we want the full-on brightness of acid and add it directly to the food right before serving - a squeeze of lemon on a piece of fish, for example. Other times we prefer a more subtle acidity and add a bit of citrus or vinegar (and we would use these in the same way) at the end of cooking to balance the overall flavor of the dish. In this case a little bit of heat from the food will mellow the acidity a bit. This is particularly helpful to balance a rich stew or soup - such as your ham and beans - or in something like a Vietnamese caramel sauce. Best, The Milk Street Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.