WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Chicken Shawarma - how to cut the boneless chicken thighs

I recently made the chicken shawarma, from the Tuesday Night Med cookbook. It instructs to cut the chicken thighs crosswise into 3. I wasn't sure what this meant for a boneless thigh (and I wish there were pictures online) . I rolled the thigh as if the bones were back inside, and sliced it into 3 pieces crosswise. I found that this left me with strips that were very uneven in size and cooked very unevenly - some strips had pieces that were very overcooked while the rest was still juicy, and some entire pieces were overcooked. I was wondering if I cut them incorrectly, and if it might be better to cook the whole boneless thigh and then slice them after broiling.....

Comments

• Hi Claudia -

To cut the thighs crosswise, place the thigh with the longer end towards you (shorter ends on the left and right) and cut the thigh into three equal pieces. Making sure to cut them into equal pieces should prevent the strips from cooking unevenly.

Hope that helps!

Best,

The Milk Street Team

• Sorry to be dense, but I am still not getting it. If the boneless thigh is opened all the way, with the long end towards you, are you making cuts from long end to long end ( e.g. perpendicular to the long end)? So what you are doing is separating the back of the thigh from the 2 front sections?

• Hi Claudia -

Yes. Imagining the thigh is a rectangle, place one of the long ends of the rectangle aligned with the edge the cutting board and cut into thirds from long end to long end. So, two cuts from long end to long end to create three equal pieces. Please let me know if it’s still not clear and I will see if I can create and upload a drawing somehow.

Best,

Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.