WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Hole in my yogurt loaf cake

I've made the orange coriamder yogurt loaf cake twice now. The first time was cooked through but a bit dry. I blame it on using a 9x5 glass pan and not adjusting temp amd/or cook time.

For the 2nd, I got a metal 8.5 x 4.5 pan as suggested in the recipe. This time I baked it for about 40 minutes and the toothpick had very few crumbs (as suggested). However, when cutting through the center today i had a cavity (hole) about the width of a golf ball right in the middle of the cake where the cake was very wet. The rest of the cake was still a bit on the drier side, but the taste is still good.

Two questions:

1. What would cause that cavity? Just needing more baking time?

2. Is the wet portion in the middle safe to eat?

I really like flavor so am trying to get this to work!

Comments

• Hi John -

A hole or, sometimes a series of larger holes referred to as a tunnel, is usually the result of overmixing. Overmixing the batter once the flour has been added creates too much gluten resulting in a very strong structural network in which large air bubbles can get trapped. As for whether or not the wet portion is safe to eat I would say it depends on how wet it is. If it's just a little overly moist, it's probably fine to eat. If it's still liquid there would be more risk, but I'm not sure how much you would want to eat it at that point given the textural issues anyway.

Best,

The Milk Street Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.