WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

DEEP-DISH QUICHE WITH MUSHROOMS, BACON AND GRUYÈRE

Is it true that the bacon (unlarded and uncooked) only gets added to the egg/cream mixture right before going in the oven? Normally, the bacon would get larded on its own or along with the onions and mushrooms. Any leading opinions?

Comments

• Good question, Peter. Because this recipe uses Canadian bacon, we liked the results when the chopped Canadian bacon is simple added to the egg mixture at the end. Unlike traditional bacon, which is from the pork belly, Canadian bacon is from the loin and is much less fatty, meaning there isn't much fat to render out were it to be cooked earlier in the process. If you are using bacon instead of Canadian bacon, I would recommend cooking the bacon on its own at the very beginning of the recipe, until it is crispy and the fat has rendered out; then, cook the onions and mushrooms in the rendered fat and add the crispy bacon in right before it goes into the oven.

-April D.

• My thoughts exactly, April. Thanks for the corroboration. And I'll keep my eyes peeled for Canadian bacon.

Best,

Peter Gribbin

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.