WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Confusing References

In the recent Milk Street publication I am looking at the Baralo Braised Beef Short ribs recipe tells us to look at there "Head Note' for an explanation of the wine? Pardon my ignorance but in my 70 years reading recipes this is the only reference to a head note i have seen. I researched the term and each reference led me to the term being a legal term used by lawyers. I am a simple cook and not a legal scholar. Is there not another term or mechanism you could use to explain what things like Barola are? Many of the ingredients in some of your recipes are difficult if not impossible to obtain...Barolo wine is one of those ingredients.

Comments

• Also, it would be good to know where the Head Note is?

• Hello Charles,

In food writing, a headnote is the information found at the top of a recipe. It is used to introduce special ingredients, techniques or other information about the dish to be prepared. The website Food52 has a fascinating article telling the history of the use of headnotes in recipe writing. The article is called "Recipe Introductions Matter. Here's Why." Feel free to substitute a Cabernet Sauvignon or Zinfandel for the Barolo.

Best,

The Milk Street Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.