WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Torta al Limone recipe

The recipe appeared in the Jan-Feb Milk Street magazine. Has anyone made this cake? I’ve never seen a cake recipe that calls for salted butter. There’s also 1/2 teaspoon salt. I’m wondering if the “salted” butter is a mistake.

Planning on baking this cake tomorrow, any response would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tamara

Comments

• Hello Tamara,

Our recipe developers made the cake multiple times until it met with the approval of everyone at Milk Street. While it may seem unusual to use salted butter in baking, we find that it generally balances the sweetness and other flavors in baked goods. We also adjust the added salt in recipes accordingly.

Best,

The Milk Street Team

• I just made this cake last night, and it was absolutely delicious! I can't comment as an experienced baker (it was actually my first cake ever) but if you are concerned about the results being ruined by the use of salted vs unsalted butter, I can vouch that you will be safe.

• Hello Joshua,

We are so pleased to hear that you made the Torta al Limone cake and enjoyed it! We do like a touch of salt in our baked goods. Happy baking!

Best,

The Milk Street Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.