WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Gluten free sourdough

Has anyone ever made a gluten free sourdough? is this even possible? Maybe with Buckwheat flour? Recently diagnosed with Celiac's and I am missing my bread baking days.

Thanks

Heather

Georgia, VT

Comments

• Quick breads can be made gluten-free (pancakes, biscuits, etc) but a hearty, chewy sourdough is, in my experience, a step too far. However, check out King Arthur Flour - they have a gluten-free sourdough starter here: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-sourdough-starter-recipe

• Chewy gluten free breads are out there and so are light fluffy cakes. You have to keep alot of different types of flours. I have been GF for 15 years and not by choice but nencessity. Unfortunately, I don't do the baking, my Dad does. I just keep him flush with different flours. Keep searching for recipes and experimenting. My Dad left my Mom all the ingredients measured to make a fresh apple cake. He stepped back in from farming to say what are you doing? You are supposed to use a paddle for a GF cake. She said "you said cake and I make cakes with whisks" The result a light fluffy apple cake instead of a dense apple cake. Keep experimeting. You will find what works and the journey will be full of fun stories....

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.